Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Midterms

Happy President's Day! We had Monday off in honor of President's Day, which was great with a deliverable and two midterms this week. Despite the holiday, I was up early to run some errands and get a large ice coffee to get me through the day. The caffeine kicked in quickly and I was able to finish my portion of our Ops deliverable in no time. Unfortunately, I did not have the same luck with the Ops case. I only managed to make it through two questions during the time I hoped to finish. At that point I took a break to go for a run and do a little cooking before directing my attention to Finance for the rest of the night.

Tuesday morning, in Supply Chain, we continued our transportation discussion and ended the class with inventory. My team met one more time to finalize our first progress report for Ops. Once again, the rest of my night was spent studying Finance.

By the end of Tuesday I was not as confident as I wanted to
be, so I got up super early to be on campus by 6:15am to continue studying until the exam. I accomplished a lot during that time - hopefully it paid off. A few friends and I took a breather for lunch in the Curry Student Center before breaking to study for Stats. I had a quick study session with a fellow student rep before our meeting that night. This was our longest meeting yet, as we provided in depth feedback of the program thus far. Due to the meeting, I was unable to attend the Stats review session, but a classmate filled me in on what I missed. By the time I made it home I was simply exhausted with a pounding headache. Feeling much more confident with Stats than Finance, I made the bold move of going to bed early (like 9:15 early) and setting my alarm for 4am to get up and go through the practice exam.

4am came much quicker than expected, but I forced myself out of bed to study. Surprisingly, I made it through most of the practice exam without having to look at m
y notes. With my newly found confidence, I made my way to campus for some last minute review. I finished in the allotted one hour and fingers crossed that it went well. Our professor went easy on us for the remaining hour of class and simply introduced the next concept. In Strategy we broke off into our teams to continue the Dollar General discussion. We created scenario analyses, focusing on major trends that impact their business. It was great practice for what we will need to do for our IDP project. After class a small group of us met up for lunch in the Marino Center. It was nice to have two midterms done and relax for a little bit. At 3 I had to head back to Dodge to put the final touches on our Marketing Club project before our meeting with the company at 5. I was super excited to find out one of my classmates was offered the Brand Management position at Hasbro (which has never been offered to a Northeastern student)! I am so happy for him! After all the excitement and effort of booking a room with a projector, we finally made the necessary adjustments. The meeting went really well and we got some great direction for the remainder of the project (we even got some toys!).

After such a long week I decided my team and I needed some sugar. So, I spent a portion of my night baking chocolate chip dough cupcakes for our meeting on Friday.


Friday morning we had a very productive meeting working on our Finance case (after cupcakes, of course). Following the meeting, I had a late leisurely lunch with a friend. My lack of sleep caught up with me and by the time I got home I had another pounding headache. I did a few odds and ends and called it an early night, getting over 10 hours of sleep! It was so nice to get some rest before having to go to work on Saturday. I was back on campus early on Sunday to finish the Finance case with my team before going back to work.


*The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Northeastern University, its staff, faculty or affiliates and are solely the opinion of Keri Deming

No comments:

Post a Comment