Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Just Another Busy Week

This week started with an early morning to prepare for Finance (if you remember from my last post I left my Finance book in my locker). I got to campus around 7am to quickly read the chapter and answer questions for the Midwest Canning case. Luckily, it was fairly straight forward and I was able to finish before Critical Skills.

This was our last Critical Skills class until our final meeting as an entire class at the end of the semester. We broke off into our learning teams to discuss our progress on our first interventions and share plans for our second interventions. My team has been good with keeping each other on track, but it is nice to have a formal check-in. Next we moved on to Finance, where I learned I missed a couple steps while doing the case (not bad for having done it a few hours ago). The rest of Monday was a low key night of homework.

Though I only had one class on Tuesday, I was on campus for most of the day. In Supply Chain, our professor talked about transportation and everything that must be considered when making decisions. I spent the rest of the afternoon in the grad lounge. I was happy to complete our Stats homework with a peer, as I was having trouble figuring out just what to do on a few questions. I also lined up a room for a meeting for the Marketing Club project I have been working on and spent some time going over our presentation. At 4:30 we met with our contact to show him what ideas we had so far. He gave us some great feedback to enhance our ideas before we presented them to the company. After the meeting I headed home to finish up some homework for Wednesday and prepare for a team meeting.

We started Wednesday morning with a case discussion on Shouldice Hospital in Ops. The hospital has a unique specialty and was debating whether or not to expand to keep up with increasing demand. In Finance, we had an introduction to the next chapter before reviewing for the midterm next week (hard to believe the semester is about halfway over!). After class my team met up to finish up our industry analysis deliverable for our IDP project.

Thursday morning, in Stats, we started the chapter on statistical inference (luckily, this material would not be on next week's midterm). Next, we had a short Strategy class and started the discussion of Dollar General. After class, many of us headed upstairs to the Supply Chain Expo. There were several big name companies, such as Adidas, Johnson & Johnson, and Boston Beer Company, and it was a great opportunity to network. A friend and I stayed on campus a little longer to grab some lunch at the food truck and then decided to meet up with another friend to finally go to Rebecca's Cafe. I then made my way home and took a night off from homework to clean my apartment. Ah, the life of a grad student.

Unfortunately, Friday morning I missed the mentor panel in Career Management (and our last class before our final meeting in April), but I heard positive feedback from my classmates. I switched up my work schedule a little for the weekend and picked up Friday night to free up Saturday for our Ops project.

I met my team on campus Saturday afternoon and we made our way to Trico USA for our Ops project. One of our classmates was nice enough to offer the company (his family's company) and organize the visit. They are a manufacturer of Asian dry foodstuffs and it was interesting to tour their facility and learn they serve over half of the New England market! After touring, we visited Food-Pak (also owned by Trico USA), which is where our classmate works. It is a wholesale warehouse that sells the noodles and other grocery items. After the visit we decided to have a team lunch (of noodles and rice, appropriately enough) to organize our notes and start the first progress report due next week. The remainder of my Saturday was spent casually doing homework.

Sunday morning I once again met my team on campus. It was a rather short meeting to divide up some work that needed to be done. I stayed in the library to get some Finance studying done. I was able to get through a good portion of the study guide our professor provided us before I headed off to work.

*The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Northeastern University, its staff, faculty or affiliates and are solely the opinion of Keri Deming

No comments:

Post a Comment