Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Little R&R

I think I am one of only a few that did not travel before or after the IFS trip, which gave me nearly four unstressful (and sometimes boring) weeks of rest and relaxation. With more often than not rainy weather and plenty of free time, I spent a lot of time sleeping, watching movies, and doing other unproductive things. Rather than give a daily recap (which would quickly get repetitive) I will just hit a few highlights.

Week 1
Monday morning I was up at 8am, which I guess was "sleeping in," but it was still earlier than I planned. Still being in "get up and go" mode from the semester, I got up to do some errands and go for a run. I enjoyed a nice afternoon of leisure before meeting a friend for dinner and a Red Sox game. We met up and walked to Boston Beer Works across from Fenway for some blueberry beers and delicious food. With the game, they were especially busy and offered us what they call "community seating," where they seat you with another party. It was a concept I had never really been exposed to and it was interesting to get to know the two older gentlemen we were seated with. We arrived at the game a little late, but I was happy to accompany my friend for his first Red Sox game experience. Unfortunately, the Red Sox did not win, but nonetheless it was a fun evening. 


After a couple days of being rather lazy (and feeling only slightly guilty), I spent Thursday rearranging the furniture in my apartment to give myself a little change. I finished just in time to welcome one of my best friends from home. We chatted a little bit and walked to the Publik House for dinner before heading to The White Horse Tavern for trivia. For trivia we joined another from from home, a few of her coworkers, and one of my friends from the program. In between questions, we all enjoyed casual conversation and challenging each other to shooting competitions on the classic basketball hoops arcade game.

Saturday morning it was back to work followed by dinner and a movie with a friend. We met at Happy's Bar and Kitchen, a new eclectic restaurant in Fenway. They offer twists on traditional dishes, such as Mac n' Cheese with peas, bacon, jalapenos, and bread crumbs (which was delightful). In addition to Mac n' Cheese we tried the duck tacos, reverse potato skins, and mojitos (in honor of Cinco de Mayo). After dinner we had a little time before the movie, so we grabbed a drink on the outside patio at the Yard House. By the time we went to buy our tickets for The Avengers, the show was sold out, so we opted for a later showing. We probably should have known better, considering it was opening the opening weekend! I will admit, I was seeing this movie without having seen any of the individual hero movies. Even still, I enjoyed the movie and made a mental note to check out a couple of the individual titles.

Week 2
After learning that a friend from high school works only 15 minutes away from my apartment, he and I made plans for Monday evening to meet up for coffee and dessert. I suggested a bakery without realizing there were two locations, both in the area. After each assuming the opposite location, we finally ended up at the same one. Though we email back and forth, it was so nice to catch up in person!

After three relaxing days, I made my way to the Good Life in downtown Boston for an IFS cocktail hour. Our professor paired us up with someone to share an interesting fact about Argentina or Brazil. In preparation, I had read all about mate, a social drink across South America (You can read more about it here). The gathering was short, but it was nice to meet some new people (part time and online students also travel with us) and see some of my classmates. After about an hour of mingling, I left to meet up with my college roommate and company for drinks at Sunset Grill in Allston. She was only in town for the weekend and it was so nice to catch up with her. It reminded me how much I miss living with her!

 
Saturday morning I continued with my typical shift at work. After work I attended a "dress like a character from a movie and bring a related food or beverage item" themed party (I'm sure I more formal title for such an event exists). An example: a couple dressed as teenage mutant ninja turtles and brought pizza bagel bites. I dressed as Deb from Napoleon Dynamite and brought tater tots. It was a really fun party and I met some great new people, I'm just sad I do not have any pictures to share! 

Sunday morning I was up early to pack for a trip to my parents' house for Mother's Day. One of my brother's friend was visiting from out of town and joined my family for the day, so he and my brother picked me up from the train to make the drive home. We all enjoyed a beautiful afternoon on the boat, followed by a delicious dinner and dessert. It was great to have the family together to celebrate, especially since it was the last time we were together before my brother left for Finland (where he will be completing a summer long internship).

Week 3
I spent the first couple of days at my parents', appreciating the joys of cable TV and the quietness of the country before catching a train back to Boston on Tuesday night.

Wednesday I was out and about and had dinner with my brother and his fiance, marking the final visit before he left. Sad, but I know he will have an awesome time this summer!

Thursday and Friday I picked up extra shifts at work. It worked out nicely because I was able to meet my replacement and help train her. 

Once again, Saturday morning I continued with my routine shift at work. After work was a fun change of pace. My great aunt and uncle (who I haven't seen in nearly a decade) were visiting from California and came to Boston for the day with my grandparents. I met them in Quincy Market for dinner at Durgin-Park and ice cream at one of the candy shops. We even caught a little bit of the Red Trouser Show street performers' act. I was happy I was able to meet up with them while they were in town!

Sunday was my final day at work! To help out a coworker, I picked up a longer shift, which made the end of the day that much more rewarding. I spent most of the night doing the required IFS case study. It was amazing how difficult it was to focus - I guess it didn't take me that long to adjust to life without homework!

Week 4
This was my final week of rest and relaxation, as I start my Corporate Residency the day after I get back from IFS.

Monday and Tuesday I got my final two days of laziness in, with which I ended by attending trivia at Common Ground in Allston with a friend. I have only played trivia a handful of times, but this was the hardest round yet. We were just happy not to come in last, and to talk and catch up, of course.

Wednesday and Thursday were full of errands, packing, and more last minute errands in preparation for Argentina and Brazil. I made several stops around town to ship books back, print paperwork for GE, buy a new suitcase, get keys made, etc. This was the first time in the history of my traveling in which I did not over pack. I must admit I was quite proud . I usually find myself preparing right up until the last minute, but I was all packed and ready to go before dinner time on Thursday night, leaving plenty of time for one last relaxing evening. 

*The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Northeastern University, its staff, faculty or affiliates and are solely the opinion of Keri Deming

2 comments:

  1. I think I've seen you around Dodge earlier in the year- Had to do a double take. Good blog, wish I had thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Are you a part time student?

    ReplyDelete