The biggest take away from last week was the first student representative meeting with Dan Volchok. My fellow reps and I really reached out to our class and got some strong feedback to bring to Dan. The meeting was actually very helpful. Many of the concerns we voiced had been brought to his attention before or he shared a similar thought process. Year after year students request lockers or another place to store jackets and other belongings to be available in Dodge Hall. Lockers are available in the Curry Student Center and the library, but are usually taken within the first few days of classes. Who knows, maybe Dodge will get lockers someday. The most important issue we presented was the Thursday afternoon skills class, touching on both the time and content. We felt that having it late in the afternoon at the end of the week hurt its effectiveness and our work mentality/productivity on Thursdays. We learned that Dan tried to schedule the class earlier in the week at an earlier time, but no classrooms were available. Also, many of us feel that the skills they are teaching us are either too basic and/or come after we need it. For example, we have one class that is scheduled to discuss Power Point, but we will have already made a few presentations before the class. Since this is the first year of the skills class, Dan really wants our feedback to work out the kinks for next year. I think these monthly meetings will continue to be helpful and are a great way to stay informed about decisions within the program.
Last, but definitely not least, quite a few of my classmates and I celebrated a couple birthdays over the weekend. Saturday was my birthday (yay!), followed by another on Sunday. We started Saturday night at Tavern in the Square in Allston and then made our way to White Horse. I intentionally planned a night in the Allston area, as I was growing tired of having to go back into the city for like events. (And I figured it was my birthday, people could come to me!) I was delighted to see how many of my classmates came! (I was also surprised to learn how many of my peers live in the Allston area as well) Even my oldest friend, whom I have known since preschool, came out to celebrate. I had a great time celebrating and getting to know some of my classmates better!
*The views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Northeastern University, its staff, faculty or affiliates and are solely the opinion of Keri Deming
No comments:
Post a Comment